Friday, January 28, 2011

Hands On: SPM Gets TSA’d

State Press Magazine

By Ana Anguiano January 28, 2011 at 12:01 am

Ana Anguiano has flashbacks to her previous TSA patdown. Photo illustration by Anthony Sandoval.

If readers recall, the Internet was a flurry of rage a few months ago when the Transportation Security Administration announced the introduction of full-body scanners at airport security checkpoints across the nation. The scanners quickly became unpopular and a hot topic to weigh in on.

As journalists will, I decided that nothing beats first-hand experience. So, pumped full of courage, I headed to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport ready to turn down their bulky machines and opt for the pat down. Sadly, I never got the chance. I was sent through a regular metal detector and went on my way to spend break with my family.

When it came time to pass through security at the El Paso International Airport in Texas, I saw it again — the giant black box of danger. El Paso International is a small airport and everyone had to go through the scanner. There was seemingly no way around it, but I knew better.

Being the only one in line, I felt confident in rejecting their silly device and opting for a physical pat down. I figure if they want to know what’s in my pockets, they should look for themselves and not resort to highly expensive scanners.

The very professional TSA worker tried to talk me out of it. She mentioned that she’d have to run her hands up my thighs and it would be a lot simpler if I went through the scanner. I said thanks, but no thanks. And that’s when it got real…

“One female opt out! We have one female opt out!” she yelled to her fellow TSA workers. She might as well have yelled, “We have a special snowflake that is too precious to go through our scanner and is making my day just that much more annoying!”...

[Full Article]