Wednesday, December 15, 2010

M1 Carbine for survival

ModernSurvivalOnline.com

I have been a fan of the M1 Carbine for years.

Light, compact and quick handling – they are great weapon for smaller shooters and females. Back in the 80′s and early 90′s Iver Johnson made one that came with came with a Choate pistol grip stock (folding also) that I thought was awesome. Always like the classic lines of the carbine. I have handled several but honestly have never shot one.

My brother has an old military M1 Carbine and I can truly see the value in this weapon. Back during the Korean war the M1 was not well received. I think that many of the issues were caused from a lack of maintenance as well as expecting more than the design of the gun would deliver. Regardless – .30 Carbine cartridge is capable if used within its acceptable range of about 100 yards or so. The .30 Carbine has ballistic very similar to the .30-30 Winchester – probably the most popular deer hunting cartridge ever.

Military M1 Carbine

Auto-Ordnance makes a new M1 which is available in a variety of formats – wood stock, plastic stock, folding stock, etc. I like the Auto-Ordnance however it is very expensive. My local gun shop sells one for over $700. That is a bit pricey for an M1 in my opinion.

Auto-Ordnance M1 Carbine

M1 Carbine with folding stock - great "Bug Out" gun

I have seen military grade used M1 Carbines for between $400-$500. Not too shabby.

Accessories are not very plentiful for the M1 Carbine however they can be customized in a few ways. Magazine capacity is typically 15 or 30 rounds. From what I have read – the 15 round mags are more reliable and the 30 round mags do better when only loaded with 28. Like an AR – 2 M1 Carbine magazines can be clipped together. See here.

The are not very many stocks available to accessorize with. My personal favorite is the Choate pistol grip folding stock as seen on the Auto-Ordnance as well as the M1 Carbine pictured below.

Choate folding stock

For optics a scope or red dot mount can be mounted. UTG make a scope mount with 1 inch rings combo for around $18.00 or if the rings are not wanted – there is this. If I had an M1 Carbine – open sights would probably be satisfactory but I do like the red dot option.

“Tactical” today generally means being able to mount a flashlight or laser to the weapon. This is possible with a Ultimak rail system. See picture below (as well as the Choate stock picture above):

Of course, regular items like slings and cases are readily available.

One of the great things about living in the United States (at least for now) is the ability to choose from a HUGE selection of firearms which to arm yourself with. The M1 Carbine is one of many.

Anyone wish to share their experiences with the M1 Carbine?

Rourke

My AR and my brothers M1 Carbine